July 2, 2008
James Brown's stuff, for sale at Christie's
One result of the ongoing uncertainties and fighting over James Brown's estate is that many of his personal possessions are being auctioned off. Christie's has the full catalog online, and amidst the many jumpsuits, leather sofas, awards, original paintings, and "GFOS"-emblazoned accessories are many really personal letters and notes, and a few mementos from the darker years of his life.
Here are a few notable items up for sale.
Standard flamboyant celebrity clothing:
Some items I would love to bid on:
- Photo of Snoop Dogg signed, "2 Uncle James Brown, Luv U Like A Microphone"
- James Brown records from his own collection, including a duet single with Al Sharpton
- 83 pairs of James Brown's sunglasses
Really personal/cool/strange/sad stuff:
- Republican Presidential Task Force membership card
- Lyrics to "Thank the Lord" written on back of envelope ("Ha Ha Ha Ha/ Do you want to get funky")
- "I love you baby, always" note to ex-wife Adrienne
- Letter to break up with ex-wife Adrienne (she's the one who died from taking PCP and a load of other drugs two days after liposuction)
- Hair rollers and supplies, with Polaroid of James Brown using them
- Inmate inventory, from when he was in jail in 1989 (includes a "God Father of Soul" belt)
The auction is on July 17. Starting on July 12 you can go to Christie's and look at all this stuff in person.
TrackBack URL for this entry: